iptables NAT and how it might affect ipvs

To: lvs-users <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: iptables NAT and how it might affect ipvs
From: Justin Georgeson <jgeorgeson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:07:16 -0500
I have a multi-homed machine (internet and private LAN) running iptables and ipvs. The public interface has several IP addresses bound to it. I use ipvs to NAT specific IP/port combinations to machines on the LAN. For the entire set of NAT ruls I have in ipvs, there are no shared public IPs. (all NATed ports for a given public IP are NATed to a single LAN IP) So I wanted to have iptables do it's NAT based on LAN IP (if a connection is comfing from 192.168.1.5, NAT it out on eth0:5, since eth0:5 is bound to the public IP which has ports NATed by ipvs to 192.168.1.5). Am I making any sense? Will I break anything by trying to do this?

--
Justin Georgeson
UnBound Technologies, Inc.

5295 Hollister Road
Houston, TX 77040
Real Applications using Real Wireless Intelligence(tm)