Re: ActConn and InActConn all go to zero

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ActConn and InActConn all go to zero
From: Matthew Crocker <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Nov 2002 13:24:21 -0500
On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 13:13, Richard Gabriel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up a DR based LVS on my director with keepalived for failover.  I
> am using 2 real servers which are on the same network as the directors.  All
> machines use a router as the gateway.  When I start keepalived (which sets up
> the LVS configuration), everything works fine.  After some time though, all
> ActConns and InActConns go to zero.  When this happens, all traffic seems to
> go to only one of the real servers.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> I am using RedHat linux 8.0 with kernel 2.4.18.  Thanks.

This sounds like the classic 'ARP Problem'  Your real server is arping
for the IP address and getting into the routers arp-cache.  The router
is then sending traffic directly to the real server.  Connections bypass
the directors so you see no activity.

With LVS-DR you *MUST* disable ARP on the real servers.  There are
several parts of the HOWTO which explain this infamous problem.

-Matt