Re: Piranha/LVS/? High available System - what to use ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Piranha/LVS/? High available System - what to use ?
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:30:59 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Christian Jacobsen wrote:

> Hallo LVS-list,
>
> I hope Somebody can Help me :)
>
> I need a Linux System which can run 24x7, can do Loadbalancing and Routing.
> All Services (Routing/LB) should keep on working no matter what _single_
> component fails. (I know that if 2 components fail I have a Problem. :)
>
> At th moment I have 2 Loadbalancers (LB) and while doing tests 2 Real
> servers. I would like to use NAT.
> I would prefer RedHat Linux 7.2 (that what is on the LB's at the moment)
> On the Realservers I have to use Windows NT 4.0 (the application is only
> running on that).
>
> Uptill now i have tested with Piranha but my problem is that the Backup LB
> does not always takeover. ex. if one NIC goes down on the Primary LB.
>
> Has anybody got a running System where the Backup LB takeover occurs if only
> 1 NIC (either External or Internal) on the Primary looses its connection ?

Yes,  I'm running RH7.3 on my directors. It comes with LVS modules but
they are a bit dated.  I simply downloaded the new LVS/ipvsadm code and
recompiled the modules.  I copied the modules into the approriate
/lib/modules/kernel... directory and they loaded up just fine.

My setup is dual directors running with dual NICs.  If you look back in
the archives I detailed my setup a bit more.  Basically it is 2 switches,
2 directors, 4 real servers.  Split in half,  I have 1 director + 2 real
servers on each switch.

I use keepalived for service monitoring on the real servers.  It builds
the LVS table and manages the lvs_sync daemon so the backup has an up to
date connection map.  With the connection map if the MASTER lvs server
were to fail over the BACKUP would have all the NAT mappings so the
clients don't need to reconnect.

For LVS fail over I use VRRP which is also a part of keepalived.  In the
configuration you create a virtual router instance and bind the two
interfaces to the instance. If one interface goes down the whole virtual
router is considered down.  The backup will take over control and send out
ARPS etc.

 > > What Software are you using ? >
> !!! Please do not suggest that i buy RedHat HA 2.1 because I have to get it
> running till Monday Evening ;) !!!

I can help you setup your LVS server is you want.  All I would need is ssh
access & root (eeek) to your directors.

Piranna is just a wrapper around LVS.  keepalived does a similar job but
IMO works better.

Hope this helps

-Matt
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 746-2760
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 746-3704
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com