Re: Real Time Replication.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Real Time Replication.
From: Ian Millsom <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:54:07 +1100 (EST)
Hi,

> I just installed a LVS system on my network and right now i am looking for
> a way of replicating my servers in real time.
>
> Can anyone please give me some sigestions on how to do it or what to use?

I have for years looked for real time replication tools. The closest I
have come to is using rsync and imon

I (not a c programmer) never got any real time solution working. So I took
the other approach.
NAS (Network Attached Storage) and drones.
Each drone connects to the nas, and they all see the same data. Including
the NT machines.
There is even an option to sync the IIS configuration (program name out of
my head atm) but it can all be done this way.

Then just run sync's on the NAS to a second NAS for backups/extra
failover.

NAS consists of dual PSU, raid 1 filesystem, raid 5 storage.

Works well, and has now been in place for 2 years. LVS gave me the ability
to then continue to add on more drones to handle processing and more fault
tolerant.
Mount all the configs over the top of your existing paths from the NAS.
This way they will boot normally in the event the NAS dies.

So in a example drawing..

            -----------------
           |internet/firewall|
            -----------------