Re: Streamline Highly Availability and Load Balancing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Streamline Highly Availability and Load Balancing
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:07:59 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Joe Cooper wrote:

> Matthew Crocker wrote:
> >>I use redhat kernels in my setups.  I like the extensive testing they get.
> >

> > You do know that redhat doesn't test any of the distributions except the
> > advanced server version.
>
> Don't be an idiot, Matthew.  This is FUD, and I would hope everyone here
> would be smart enough to know better.

I'm sorry, I truly don't want to spread FUD.  This is word for word from
the Sales Rep at Redhat.  He said they only do extensive regression
testion on Advanced Server.  Normal redhat (6.2,7.1,7.2,7.3,8.0...) are
released every 6 months, support for errata on normal releases is 1 year.
normal releases are not extensively tested beyond normal compile,install
stuff.  Adnvanced server release cycle is yearly, errate support is for 3
years (might be 5), fully regression tested.  Vendors like Veritas,
Oracle .. etc only officially support their products on Advanced Server.
It might work under Normal but isn't officially supported.

I stand by my statement.  Redhat does not extensively test their kernels
for the normal distributions.  This can be brought to light by the number
of errata found in shipped kernel versions.  I've had kernels that
wouldn't even boot after an install.

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 746-2760
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 746-3704
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com