Re: KTCPVS phttp new cookie question

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: KTCPVS phttp new cookie question
From: <jpcl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:07:24 -0000 (WET)
>> If cookie management is at director level, and packets go in one-way
>> only, then:
>>
>>  1 - Client send request {req}. Request has no cookie attached.
>>  2 - Director sees no cookie, forwards to RS1
>>  3 - RS1 gives cookie COOKIE1
>>  4 - Packet goes out with {COOKIE1, reply}
>>
>>  5 - Client send new request {COOKIE1, newReq}
>>  6 - Director sees COOKIE1, but has no mapping information of it ?!?
>>

> You can use the persistence feature of LVS-DR to solve this cookie
> problem. If the virtual service is specified as persistent, all the
> requests from a single client (per IP address) will be redirected to the
>  same server selected for the first request.

Is this a workaround?

>> This doesn't seems to be a problem specific to KTCPVS, but to all
>> arquitectures who do not use a "two-way" balancer.
>> Maybe the solution is completely different, and the balancer itself
>> inserts the control cookie?
>>
>> You'ld have
>>  1 -
>>  2 - Director sees no cookie, forwards to RS1 as {DIR_COOKIE1, req} 3
>>  4 - Packet goes out with {DIR_COOKIE1, COOKIE1, reply}
>>
>>  Is this the racionale behind KTCPVS phttp behaviour?
>>

> Yes, KTCPVS can remember the cookies and send requests according to the
> cookies, but current KTCPVS code doesn't support. We are thinking about
> adding this support.

If KTCPVS cant handle cookies, that means it can't insert/remove cookies
from the packets, only see them , right?~

So, KTCPVS was designed to work with (or as) LVS-NAT, as a proxy, right?
(doing two-way routing : From client to server, then from server to
client. At that second step it will record the cookie that the server
inserted, is that it?)

Thank you