KTCPVS phttp new cookie question

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: KTCPVS phttp new cookie question
From: <jpcl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:25:23 -0000 (WET)
I want to try KTCPVS as a load balancer with sticky session (cookie) support.
Well, I was theoretically thinking on this and I don't see how this
problem is solved:

I use LVS-DR. So packets go to Director, are forwarded to Realserver, and
then go direct to outside router.
If cookie management is at director level, and packets go in one-way only,
then:

 1 - Client send request {req}. Request has no cookie attached.
 2 - Director sees no cookie, forwards to RS1
 3 - RS1 gives cookie COOKIE1
 4 - Packet goes out with {COOKIE1, reply}

 5 - Client send new request {COOKIE1, newReq}
 6 - Director sees COOKIE1, but has no mapping information of it ?!?

This doesn't seems to be a problem specific to KTCPVS, but to all
arquitectures who do not use a "two-way" balancer.
Maybe the solution is completely different, and the balancer itself
inserts the control cookie?

You'ld have
 1 -
 2 - Director sees no cookie, forwards to RS1 as {DIR_COOKIE1, req}
 3
 4 - Packet goes out with {DIR_COOKIE1, COOKIE1, reply}

 Is this the racionale behind KTCPVS phttp behaviour?

Thank you
Joao Clemente