Re: Documentation of Proc Values (patch)

Subject: Re: Documentation of Proc Values (patch)
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:08:35 +0800 (CST)

Dear Ratz,

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> I would actually also favour Horms' approach, as the proc-fs variables
> documentation already partially existed in man page at one point. At
> least I believe so (haven't needed the man page in years anymore).

I still think that the sysctl variables of IPVS is not part of the ipvsadm
program. It's my mistake that some sysctl variable description was added
the ipvsadm man page. But, it doesn't mean that we made mistake before,
and we have to make mistake again. :)

> > I see that we can add a note that full documentation on LVS is at
> > http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/. Then, we only need maintain one place
> > for describing the IPVS sysctl variables
> > (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/sysctl.html), and it can help
> > bring more traffic to the LVS web site. :)
>
> There is only a little problem with that. I for one sometimes have to go
> to a customer onsite where I do not have easy access to the Internet
> (yes, this happens in very secure datacenters), and thus I would be in
> need of an appropriate documentation of the proc-fs tunables. But then
> again, I normally do not need the man page anyways :).

For this situation, you should backup some documentation on your laptop.
:) Anyway, we can make a copy of sysctl variables in ipvs/doc/sysctl.txt
shipped with the IPVS tar ball.

> > The ipvsadm-1.21-5.src.rpm with this change and two typo fixes from
> > Horms' patch is available at
> > http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/kernel-2.4/ipvsadm-1.21-5.src.rpm
>
> In the end it's your call, Wensong, but Horms has already done the work
> and here I do not see the problem of maintaining redundant information
> as it doesn't change very often.

I took a look at Horms' man page patch. I am afraid that the understanding
of timeout_* sysctl variables is not correct, some changes on
synchronization daemon description is not good. And, ipvsadm man page is
not the right place for IPVS sysctl variables either.

> Tian bu pa, di bu pa, jiu pa yangguizi shuo Zhongguohua. :)

Where do you learn these Chinese words? :)

> Best regards,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz

Cheers,

Wensong