Re: LVS Director as default gw?

Subject: Re: LVS Director as default gw?
From: Matthew Crocker <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:22:37 -0400
Horms,
As I know, the lvs director with NAT rewrites the destination IP address for incoming packets and rewrites the source IP address for outgoing packets. Thus real server must set lvs director as default gateway.

Now I wonder if the lvs director can rewrite both destination IP address and source IP address for all packets. Example, director replace the destionation IP address with real server's IP address and replace the source IP address with director's private address.So real server don't have to set director as default gateway. Can lvs do it? Thank you

Couldn't this be done at the netfilter level. Setup NAT on the outbound traffic for the inside interface. Kinda a reverse NAT for the Internet. Inbound traffic gets load balanced by LVS-NAT (i.e. the source stays the same but the destination becomes the real server). Gets routed out the LVS box and hits the netfilter NAT setup and gets NATed (i.e. the destination stays the same but the source gets rewritten to that of the LVS internal IP). The real server gets a packet from the LVS. This would eliminate any useful information in the logs but it should work.

-Matt