Re: Linux kernel small forwarding perf (was: RE: Small packetshandling :

To: alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux kernel small forwarding perf (was: RE: Small packetshandling : LVS-DR vs LVS-NAT)
Cc: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:38:21 +0200
Hello Alex,

Yes, I spend long time in this code and the dependance with
low level qos code introduce many complications... I have tried
many things to optimize this but changing the current rt_cache
structure will broke some routings dependances... even RCU
spin_lock optimization don't increase perf.

RCU won't buy you a lot without SMP. Stupid question: did you readprofile/oprofile it once? I'd be interested to get some numbers.

as you said :), what about not adding new entries per packets in the
rt_cache ? that way hash key will miss and submit routing lookup and
gc_.. will have a simple low job not the current big linearization aging task.
I was thinking of the _intern_hash func to not append new entries ?

Again stupid question: Is it really the lookup that consumes the precious time?

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc