Re: LVS and fault-tolerant Firewall.

Subject: Re: LVS and fault-tolerant Firewall.
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:44:31 -0400
Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> >   Has anyone attempted/is currently running LVS as a pair of
> >   fault-tolerant firewalls?

> (Julian Anastasov is working on making LVS integrate with Netfilter.
> LVS passes on the packets before firewall rules are applied.  if the
> code is completed, Netfilter integration will be an option since the
> performance penalty is quite noticable.)

Currently running a firewall doesn't fit well with being a director.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.patches.html#firewall_on_director

However as Kjetil says, I will be an option sometime.

There are people who believe that firewalls should be modular and not
run on machines doing other jobs

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx