Re: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time

Subject: Re: Again: LVS/Apache cluster freezes from time to time
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:54:09 -0500
Jan Abraham wrote:

> > where Frederic found that the switch was caching the results of arp
> > requests.
> > LVS-NAT doesn't play games with the arp tables, so if the freeze
> > occurs with LVS-NAT then the switch isn't your problem.
>
> Same issue with LVS-NAT, I've just reconfigured once again to be sure I
> haven't missed a thing. But the same thing happened.

this is one of the longest running unbsolved problems we've ever had :-(

> But I've rebuild my 2.4.22 vanilla kernel for the webservers once again
> and... boof.

compiling from source code is good.

> The freezes were gone on 3 of 4 machines! Only one shows
> still these phenomenons, the freezes last only for about 5 seconds, but
> they'll repeate in smaller intervalls. Load is now at more than 100 in
> average!!!

this is on the machine with the freezing, or on all machines?

If it's on all machines, then 2.4.x kernels can't handle load averages
that high and correct functioning is unlikely. (Anyone know if 2.4.22
has the 2.6.x memory manager back ported?)

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx