Re: Easing a real server into rotation

Subject: Re: Easing a real server into rotation
From: John Reuning <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:07:24 -0500
On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 21:24, Horms wrote:

> I suspect that your web browser (Explorer?) is reopening the connection
> (RFC 1122, 4.2.2.13), but that it is very short lived so you can't
> observe what is going on. So basically the port 49598 connection is
> swiching betweeen active and inactive, which is why you don't see the
> inactive connection count grow.

I was using Mozilla.  However, shouldn't telnetting to VIP port 80 cause
the connection to relist as ESTABLISHED until the telnet session is
ended?  I tried that, and nothing changed.

And I noticed something else, too.  After the connection disappeared
from the table (after the TIME_WAIT expired), it didn't reappear at all
when I reloaded pages via a browser or telnetted to port 80.  Only the
persistence SYN_RECV line remained.  It wasn't until after the SYN_RECV
line timed out that a new ESTABLISHED connection line appeared in the
table.

> I am not sure if this helps or not, but if a connection is in the
> connection table (i.e. it shows up in ipvsadm -L -c -n), but is not a
> persistance template (i.e. the client's port is not zero) then it will
> be counted in either ActiveConn or InActConn. If the connection is in
> the ESTABLISHED state then it is counted in ActiveConn, otherwise it is
> counted in InActConn.

Yep, this makes sense.  And it leads me to think that the root cause of
the newly added real server may be the result of inaccurate ActiveConn
counting.