Re: Keepalived install paths

Subject: Re: Keepalived install paths
From: Simon Young <simon-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:37:25 +0000
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:48:12AM -0500, Joseph Mack wrote:
> Simon Young wrote:
> >
> > Minor point here, but I just installed Keepalived on a Debian woody
> > machine, and everything that should have been installed to /etc
> > ended up in /usr/local/etc.
> >
> > Obviously './configure --prefix=/' fixes the problem, but it just
> > seems a little odd, considering the installation notes tell you to
> > look in /etc/keepalived after installing.
>
> This is all a hopeless mess in my mind. I talked to Drew Streib of the
> Linux FSB about this once, when configure scripts were starting to put
> everything in /usr/local rather than in their usual places and I was
> building systems with grep etc all in /usr/local/bin.

I see. Generally, I don't object to *binaries* ending up in
/usr/local/bin, but having configuration information in /usr/local/etc
would strike me as being counter-intuitive - especially when the docs
say I'm going to find them in /etc.

/usr/local/keepalived/etc I could cope with, but
/usr/local/etc/keepalived is just strange :-)

> The assumption then is that end users know as much about Linux as the
> average Windows user knows about the Windows file system.

An unpleasant prospect.

> You have to know that the assumptions of the configure script and the
> developer are quite different and you'll have to carefully inspect the
> output of `./configure --help` before you run it.

Good advice. Although personally, I'd like to be able to believe the
INSTALL file that one automatically reads when installing something.

Is the configure script then something that the developer has no control
over?

Thanks,

Simon.