Re: Keepalived install paths

Subject: Re: Keepalived install paths
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:44:29 -0500
Simon Young wrote:

> /usr/local/keepalived/etc I could cope with, but
> /usr/local/etc/keepalived is just strange :-)

I had machines with /usr/local/etc/sshd_config etc because
I thought I was doing what I was supposed to be doing.
You will wind up with libc in /usr/local/lib/ too if you
accept the defaults

> Good advice. Although personally, I'd like to be able to believe the
> INSTALL file that one automatically reads when installing something.

you would hope that `./configure && make install` would do something sensible
but it doesn't.

> Is the configure script then something that the developer has no control
> over?

no the developer can do what he wants. Maybe someone who's put out a configure
script will volunteer here. It may be just that people want to try to
do what the powers that be have agreed upon, no matter how silly it is
(geek peer pressure?). I think we're waiting for some child watching the
parade to say "Mom, all the files are going to the wrong place".

I know you have to do some work to get demons into /sbin rather than
/usr/sbin because if you just have --prefix=/ then all the config files
go to strange places.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx