RE: Windows Media load balancing/dropped packets under medium load

Subject: RE: Windows Media load balancing/dropped packets under medium load
From: "Mark Weaver" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:31:02 -0000
> does freeswan involve a lot of overhead?

No, it's just for administration so the traffic is very minimal.  I just
mentioned it in case there was a known interaction.

> LVS-NAT was rewritten for 2.4.x and doesn't have the overhead of the
> earlier implementations, so it's shouldn't be a problem.

Splendid news!

> if you're using top, it doesn't show all the kernel activity, but
> I'm not sure
> what the story is there. what is the load average? If you have an
> X-window on the
> director, does the mouse respond sluggishly? Does it take a real long
time
> to load and run a trivial script (eg #!/bin/bash; echo "foo")?
>
> > CPU on the test box is at about 25% and on the media server at 4%.

I was using vmstat, which does show kernel CPU.  The load average sits
at around zero, which is basically what I expect as there are a very
minimal set of processes running.  It's hard to tell with a simple script test,
because SSH is the bottleneck there.  However, I think vmstat should be correct?

> > I would therefore conclude that this is an issue with the
> director, but I'm
> > not sure what.  My next guess would be to try swapping the VIA NIC for
> > another 3com one, but could it really be that bad?
>
> it's a cheap test.
Sadly not as cheap as you'd hope as I have to trundle myself along to the
hosting centre!  Luckily there are two boxes with keepalived for failover, so I
can just whip one of them out without anyone noticing.

> I'm surprised to hear this. I don't have any suggestions sorry

Given that the software config should be OK, then this points me straight at
the hardware, so this is actually a great help!

Thanks,

Mark