RE: Windows Media load balancing/dropped packets under medium load

Subject: RE: Windows Media load balancing/dropped packets under medium load
From: "Mark Weaver" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:41:09 -0000
> I've used the VIA onboard NICs, back in the 1.2ghz range.  They suck.  If
> you've got an extra 3com put it in there instead.  Or if you have
> two Intel
> eepro100 or e1000's lying around..

Yes, those are my favourite.  The 3com NICs/drivers have really weird
behaviour with the IO-APIC kernel option (as far as I can see, they just
send out rubbish on the network), so given my limit knowledge in this area
it's enough for me to want to steer clear of them.  I've got quite a few
eepros knocking about so I'll try using a pair of those.

> I'm with Joe on this one, if it's not the NIC I'm not sure what it is.

There's one other piece of evidence that points at this: the dropped packets
counter on the interface sits at zero.  So either a) the driver doesn't
count the dropped packets properly; b) the kernel doesn't or c) the NIC
itself is dropping the packets before they get there.  I'd guess c), but
that's not really based on any evidence!

Thanks,

Mark