Advice please: which clustering software....

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Advice please: which clustering software....
From: "Chris Bshaw" <cwbshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:14:45 +0100
Hi....

I am quite new to clustering, load balancing and high availability and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I have already successfully setup a test cluster which both load balances FTP connections and is highly available using LVS + keepalived and I am impressed.

However, I have since been reading about Linux-HA, OpenSSI and lots of other software related to linux clustering, and its all gettting a bit confusing....

OpenSSI looks like a great overall solution.....seems to provide high availability, network load balancing and node load balancing/process migration.....

Most of the things I will (at least initially) want to cluster will be network services such as FTP, email and email content filtering and LDAP......not sure what I might want to do after that....

I was just wondering if anyone reading this could offer any useful hints/tips/advice/opinions on what the best overall solution would be to provide both high availability/failover and load balancing using Linux machines. Also:

Would OpenSSI give me everything LVS does plus node load balancing/process migration?
Which is better.....keepalived VRRP or Heartbeat?

Thanx in advance for any help.

Chris Bradshaw