RE: Advice please: which clustering software....

Subject: RE: Advice please: which clustering software....
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:11:45 +0200

> Would OpenSSI give me everything LVS does plus node load balancing/process
> migration?
> Which is better.....keepalived VRRP or Heartbeat?

OpenSSI uses LVS for network balancing inside the virtual single system image.
You have to take into account that an SSI has a counter part. Let's take an
example :

- On standard LVS, you have several applications (say web server) giving the
same service on several servers. If one fails (a bad sized Java tomcat, for
example), the other ones will immediately be able to serve the clients, so it
will be transparent for users.

- On an SSI machine, if the application fails, you have to detect it (with mon,
or nagios event handlers or whatever) and respawn it. If it takes too long to
restart, you are no more in a High Availability application layer.

Hope this helps,

François.

P.S.: Note that even if OpenSSI comes with parts of the TrueCluster code, it is
in RC state. It was not heavily tested in the HA community and could have some
trailing bugs in it.