RE: Help debugging director problems after a period of time

Subject: RE: Help debugging director problems after a period of time
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:32:50 -0800
This is getting a little off-topic, but..

> When it happens again:
>
>     killall -HUP named

I don't know, how do you know he's running named on that server?  If it is
local, running an strace on the named process to find out what is wrong
might be interesting.  I like my processes to not break; just restarting
without finding out what is going on means you will spend time on it later.

You can diagnose the problem as name resolution-related for certain with
careful use of tcpdump and possibly strace.  If your issues are
name-resolution related then you need to fix them.  The easiest way to do
this is either with local /etc/hosts files or on the name-server end.
Personally I prefer using both for redundancy.  I keep my hosts files in
sync with expect scripts and ssh over private interfaces.  I keep my DNS
servers working by not trusting ISP dns servers as they usually suck in
multiple ways.

Cheers, TGIF!