RE: Persistance and LVS

Subject: RE: Persistance and LVS
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:12:11 -0700
> We actually do have 20,000+ WEBMAIL users and during
> bis. hours send 1mill mails daily.  Persistance is
> currently set to 15 min (900 sec) on the LVS, so how
> would that affect memory and performance to up this to
> 60 min (3600 sec) (so it matches the 60 min
> auto-logout time at the webmail application real
> server side) ?

128 bytes per connection, assuming no stateful-tracking from netfilter.
Let's say you want LVS's limit to be 1 million users per hour.

1,000,000 connections * 128 bytes/connections = 128 megabytes of ram.

So stick a gigabyte in each director and you will have ample buffer, at
least from an LVS perspective -- unless you use conntrack.

Reference :
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.performance.html#FAQ:
how_fast