Re: When the director is the client.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: When the director is the client.
From: Joshua Goodall <joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:09:20 +1000
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:51:47PM +1000, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> If I bring up the VIP on the director, I see the packet when tcpdumping
> localhost, but LVS doesn't grab it. Oddly, the packet is still on
> localhost even when the VIP is on eth0.

This was a clue.  It seems that ip_vs_in ignores the packet if the
device is loopback_dev.

Questions then:

i) Why test for loopback_dev at all? Is this important, or is
   it just supposed to be an optimisation?

ii) Can we fool it to fill in skb->dev with something other than
    &loopback_dev if the director is the client?

Joshua.

--
Joshua Goodall <joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Solutions Architect / Principal Security Architect