Re: how do you maintain state on LVS'ed databases/shopping carts?

Subject: Re: how do you maintain state on LVS'ed databases/shopping carts?
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:04:49 +0100
Joseph Mack wrote:

We always tell people not to use cookies to maintain state.

However, what do people do, and how well does it work/what problems are there?

I'll put it all in the HOWTO.

Thanks Joe

I've been involved with a mid sized ecommerce company for about 4 years and we've had very few problems using cookies for state (storred in a single backend db.) Its fast and easy...

If the odd customer doesn't have cookies turned on then they are no great loss.

Putting the sessionid in the URL i.e. GET is ugly and slightly less secure.
I guess you could POST it on every page but would that be slower than cookies ? (I think so)

--
Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull

Loadbalancer.org Limited