Re: how do you maintain state on LVS'ed databases/shopping carts?

Subject: Re: how do you maintain state on LVS'ed databases/shopping carts?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:23:02 -0400
Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> I've been involved with a mid sized ecommerce company for about 4 years
> and we've had very few problems using cookies for state (storred in a
> single backend db.) Its fast and easy...

I thought I'd better check this. There's no point in telling everyone not
to use cookies, if everyone is doing it.

So your cgi (or whatever) instead of storing the cookie locally, stores
it on some machine accessable to all. What's the database, is it replicated
or is storage of short enough time, that you don't care if it dies?
Is your shopping cart (or whatever) application storing data on the realserver
or is it writing to a single backend (the same backend as for the cookies?).

> If the odd customer doesn't have cookies turned on then they are no
> great loss.

I find this a bit of a pain. I have cookies turned off and usually
the application runs a cookie test on me and tells me to turn on cookies.
I've been trying to register for the Ottawa Linux Symposium for about 2months,
and they've been having trouble with their registration software. Finally
they ask me if I've got cookies turned on. I say "of course not".
They don't do a cookie test and they don't have any notice
that I need cookies turned on.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx