Re: firewall + loadbalancer on the same machine

Subject: Re: firewall + loadbalancer on the same machine
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:13:37 +0200
Hello,

I would like to know: Is it possible to run iptables firewall and ipvs
loadbalancer on the same machine.

This has been the subject of much discussion on this list and is covered
extensively in the HOWTO. How about you save your questions till after you've
read up on the matter.
I think that is why I did not get a clear answer.

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.filter_rules.html

Is this clear enough or does it raise more questions? We would like to know so we can improve on the documentation.

I think it does not work, I was just looking for other ipvs users to backup that answer.

Out of the box it does not work, correct. But patches exist to make it work. You seem to have neglected to mention

a) your kernel version
b) your LVS forwarding method

both points have different outcomes in answering your question to its full extent. 2 examples, randomly picked:

LVS-NAT with the nfct patch will work for 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels regarding filtering, iif you don't use fwmark

LVS-DR will most probably not work with 2.6.8 and above kernels regarding filtering since the tcp window tracking patch has been merged to the vanilla tree; however there is a relaxation sysctl that could revert the strict TCP window and sequence number checking to the loosly-knitted one (aka: non-existant) as previously found in vanilla Linux kernels.

Regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc