Re: firewall + loadbalancer on the same machine

Subject: Re: firewall + loadbalancer on the same machine
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:50:39 +0200
Hello Atif,

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.filter_rules.html

Is this clear enough or does it raise more questions? We would like to know so we can improve on the documentation.

Thanks for the link. I will read it and give you back my feedback.
For some reason, I did not see that page before. Or perhaps it is newer than I last read the docs. (~ 6 months ago, when we implemented lvs)

Despite the recent 'cease and desist' point of view from certain developers the howto is actively maintained and improved by Joseph Mack. And yes, he's moved, and with the help of tons of people from the list, rewritten a significant part of the 'old' howto you used to be looking at.

<OT>
It's one downside with F/OSS: everybody can change anything at any given time, since you don't owe any customer any backwards compatibility. You break it, the end user gets the pieces and by the time every piece is put back into the collection so it works, the API has of course changed again and you're forced to upgrade. On the other side you get evolution on steroids ;). So, I'm only half complaining.
</OT>

Out of the box it does not work, correct. But patches exist to make it work. You seem to have neglected to mention

a) your kernel version
b) your LVS forwarding method

We are using 2.4.22xx kernel from SuSE Linux 9.0 (Will change to RHEL 3 maybe)

Ohh, I thought they were still at 2.4.21-XXX something.

The LVS Forwarding method is NAT

In all honesty, I can hardly believe that you want to go through that hassle of patching any vendor kernel with a vanilla-diffed feature outside the tree. Unless you have a specific reason to use a SuSE or RHEL kernel (hardware, ease-of-use regarding installation or speed might be one), stick to a plain vanilla one when patching it.

Good luck,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc