OT: Supersparrow

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: OT: Supersparrow
From: Josh Marshall <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:56:12 +1000
Hi all,

I know this probably isn't lvs-related, but I know that Horms reads this list
and I'm needing some advice. I've been looking into implementing something
like supersparrow to get high availability / fastest connection for our web
servers. We have some servers in Australia and some in the USA and some in
Holland. I'm interested in the dns method of getting the closest server for
the client connecting so that we don't have to do http redirects and have
multiple webnames configured. That's a bit further along.

I'm wondering if I need to have a bgp daemon with a public AS number to be
able to get the information needed to determine the best path for the client.
I have done some tests and read loads of documentation but am not sure how to
get the information without having a public AS number. The supersparrow
documentation describes what appears to be an internal solution so doesn't
show whether this is possible or not.

I guess I'm also wondering whether I should be looking at supersparrow - I
know that the software was written a few years ago, but the idea behind it
and the amount of processing it needs to do I can imagine it doesn't need to
be actively maintained.

If anyone has any advice as to what I can do, to get the best path information
with (or without) bgp without having a public AS number I'd really appreciate
it.

Regards,
Josh.