Re: Can realserver be in different subnet against directorserver?

Subject: Re: Can realserver be in different subnet against directorserver?
From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:14:14 -0700

On Saturday, October 2, 2004, at 07:56 PM, cwinl wrote:

hi all,

I am a newbie to LVS. B->

I'm configuring an LVS system which has 1 director ang 2 realservers to realize a VS/DR structure. I just want to know whether the two realserver can be in different subnet against the directorserve?
Here is my network structure and the connection is fine.

I believe the answer is maybe. As I understand LVS-DR, the director needs to be on the same layer2 segment as the real servers in some way. This is because it must do an ARP lookup of their hardware addresses, and then send packets directly to those hardware addresses. This is why LVS-TUN exists.

----------
|Director|  DIP=192.168.0.100 , VIP=192.168.0.1
----------

--------                            --------
|Real-1|                            |Real-2|
RIP=10.0.0.1                        RIP=10.0.0.2
VIP=192.168.0.1                     VIP=192.168.0.1

--

P4/2.4B
ELSA 528/128

--