Re: ipvsadm version mismatch in debian

Subject: Re: ipvsadm version mismatch in debian
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:48:55 +0900
On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 08:44:41PM +0200, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your troubles and research. Unfortunately both links have
> nothing to do with my current problem ;).
>
> >see Bug #270774:
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=270774
>
> The last statement is important and the Debian folks should do that
> ASAP. I've done the same thing in our company distribution. We have a
> ipvsadm-2.2, a ipvsadm-2.4 and a ipvsadm-2.6. Whichever kernel you boot,
> you get the right tool with it.

The handling of the ipvsadm package is entirely up to
the maintainer, Joerg Wendland <joergland@xxxxxxxxxx>.
He seems to be active so it is unlikely anyone would
override his authority there. So if you have bugs, patches
or suggestions either contact him directly or use
the debian bug tracking system.

> My problem is:
>
> I've got a Debian testing based Linux system on a sparc64 box. I try to
> get LVS running on a vanilla 2.4.27 kernel. The kernel module loads and
> runs absolutely fine.
>
> As stated, I've also downloaded the ipvsadm-1.21 source which should be
> correct for the latest 2.4.x IPVS version. Compiling it, with the
> /usr/src/linux includes (which is correct regarding my self-made kernel)
> gives me a binary which does not work as outlined in my first email.
>
> Any hints as to why this is so? I'll stick my nose into the code now for
> real ... sigh, my girlfriend will kill me. I suspect some 64bit
> uncleanliness or something along those lines. For more information:
>
> gforge@sf-netra:~$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-linux/3.3.4/specs
> Configured with: ../src/configure -v
> --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr
> --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared
> --with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext
> --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-debug
> --enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=xlib --with-cpu=v7
> --enable-objc-gc sparc-linux
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-13)
> gforge@sf-netra:~$ uname -a
> Linux sf-netra 2.4.27 #1 Sat Oct 16 17:14:21 CEST 2004 sparc64 GNU/Linux
> gforge@sf-netra:~$
>
> Maybe the Debian folks have already fixed some of those in their
> patches, will have a look at those first.

On the kernel side of things, I am one of the mainatiners of
the debian kernel and I am not aware of any patches to lvs in
the debian kernel packages. Though I will stand corrected there.

It sounds to me that it is some sort of sparc specific problem in the
LVS/ipvsadm code itself.  I am more than happy to work on a kernel-side
or ipvsadm fix for it. The former I can put into debian myself, the
latter would need Joerg to add them to the debian package. But of course
if they are actually bugs then they should go into the main code via
Wensong.

--
Horms