Failover with load balancing of SSL

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Failover with load balancing of SSL
From: Nicola Pero <nicola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 04:50:13 +0000 (GMT)
Has anyone been able to setup ldirectord to load balance two HTTPS servers
with failover ?

The two real HTTPS servers are stateless (except for the SSL info in the
web servers); there are few concurrent users (up to 10), but instant
switchover in case of failure is essential.

Anyway, the problem we have is that when one of the two HTTPS servers goes
down, the load balancer detects it but all clients connected to the server
which is down keep being sent to it.  Changing 'persistent', 'quiescent',
timeouts etc didn't seem to have any effect on this!

Our case is also complicated by the fact that in certain cases we might
decide that a real server should not be used even if HTTPS is still
running fine on the server.  That might happen if the application sitting
behind the HTTPS has a problem.  We've got a URL on the real server which
can be checked to know if the realserver is OK to be used or not.
Checking those seems to be working fine!  The problem is with the
realserver being marked as down, and all requests still being sent to it!

Keep in mind this is not a typical web farm, there are few concurrent
users (most often 0 or 1), but it's critical that the web application is
always available.

Thanks