Replacing turboclusterd with LVS

Subject: Replacing turboclusterd with LVS
From: pmjbf@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:27:44 -0500
Hello,

We currently have a cluster of 5 machines serving as a shared web cluster.  The
load balancing is done with an older version of turboclusterd.  One of the 5
machines is the load balancer (as well as a web server) and another of the 5 is
a backup load balancer (although that functionality has not worked since I've
been around--but it apparently did at one time).

I am in the process of modernizing this web cluster.  I want to replace the load
balancing functionality with LVS.  I have set up two new servers with Debian
(sarge), kernel 2.6.8 with IPVS 1.2.0 and ipvsadm v1.24.  I have also installed
keepalived v1.1.7.

For now, I just want to be able to set up these two servers as LVS
directors--one primary, and one to take over the VIPs if the primary director
goes down.  For real servers, I will be using the five web servers already in
our cluster.  Eventually, once we are not reliant on turboclusterd and its
dependencies, these servers will be upgraded.

I have configured keepalived with one VIP using the 5 web servers as real
servers (using LVS-DR).  I have health-checking working and am pretty pleased
with the setup.  However, I am at a big loss when it comes to the load
balancing/director failover stuff (VRRP).  The documented examples are for
setups much more complex than my simple test.  I will eventually have 10 VIPS
or so, but in my testing setup now I have just one VIP that I want to belong to
the primary LVS directory, and which I want to fail over to the secondary if the
primary dies.  I have tried to extrapolate from the documentation I could find
and create the relevant sections of keepalived.conf but I think I'm way off
track.  I also can't seem to figure out if I need to configure anything for the
multicast to work... when I run keepalived with VRRP turned on and run tcpdump
either locally or on the secondary, I don't see any "heartbeat" packets or
anything.

This is the VRRP section of my keepalived.conf on my primary director:

vrrp_sync_group VG1 {
        group {
                VI_1
        }
}

vrrp_instace VI_1 {
        state MASTER
        interface eth0
        lvs_sync_daemon_interface eth0
        virtual_router_id 51
        priority 150
        advert_int 1
        smtp_alert
        authentication {
                auth_type PASS
                auth_pass <<<<EDITED>>>>
        }
        virtual_ipaddress {
                <<<<EDITED>>>>
        }
}

IP numbers and passwords have been edited out...
The section is the same on the secondary except "state" is set to BACKUP.

I hope I'm not too far off base.  Can anyone give me a nudge in the right
direction?

Thanks,
John