Re: LVS and Squid

Subject: Re: LVS and Squid
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:40:35 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Brad Taylor wrote:

I have two boxes I'd like to have setup this way:

1st Server: Primary Squid and secondary LVS
2nd Server: Primary LVS and secondary Squid

Traffic from client would be:  Client---Squid---LVS---3 backend web
servers.

If the Squid server went down the primary LVS server would assume the
role of both squid and the LVS.  If the LVS Server went down the primary
Squid server would assume the role of the LVS and the Squid server.
Can this be done?

I don't know that this setup works well. For example, if one server (the frontend) is down, then Squid and LVS run on the same machine, there is a problem that Squid cannot access the load balanced service by LVS at the same machine.

I would like to suggest that you can LVS on one of the backend web servers, and there are several squid servers before them. Then, you will have load balancing squid cluster and load balancing web cluster. LVS run on one of squid servers too, but LVS handles traffic before squid, LVS is used to load balance squid servers.

Both boxes have a default install of Red Hat 9.  Does the kernel need to
be patched for Red Hat 9.  Kinda confused as some places I read it is
included in 9.

I'd like to suggest you build the kernel 2.4.28 rpm with ipvs support for Red Hat 9.

Regards,

Wensong