which load balancer

Subject: which load balancer
From: Omar Armas <oarmas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:40:35 -0600
Hi, I want to set up a farm of mail servers with load balancing.
Which method is the best under the following conditions:

-Services load balanced: SMTP, POP and IMAP.
-3 nodes initially and growth to 5 or 6 nodes in a few weeks. may more come later.
-Linux (Qmail-LDAP as MTA)

Which method for load balancing would be best for this? DR, NAT, TUN?
I have a LVS/DR for HTTP, and remember to have read that LVS/NAT doesn´t scale very well with large installations. Is that true? Is it solved?
What about tunneling?

Is LVS/DR the only in which nodes have to be Linux? For what I´ve read, in NAT and TUN I can use other OS(FreeBSD), is that right?

Omar