Re: noarp limit

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, masar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: noarp limit
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:19:23 -0800
Todd Lyons wanted us to know:

>#define NOARP_MAX_IP            (16)
>Is it going to create problems to pick this number up to 32 or 64?  I

Not that I'm impatient :-), but I tried it and it's working (actually,
it's not crashing, which could be the same thing)  :-)

I have a question about the man page description though:
NOARPCTL COMMANDS
       add    Adds a new Virtual IP to  the  list.  Requires  two
              arguments: the VIP is the address to hide, the Real
              IP (RIP) is a real address of this host to use when
              ARP query are made that would use VIP.

I must be misunderstanding something very basic.  I thought you didn't
want real servers to arp at all for VIPs, no matter what interface the
arp comes in on and no matter what interface is defined with the
matching address.  The only acceptable arp answer is for the RIP
(implying local traffic or traffic that is not desired to be load
balanced).  But the above man page contradicts my ideas.  So I'm a bit
confused as to how exactly noarp is working.
--
Regards...              Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin