SYN / ACK Problems 2nd try

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SYN / ACK Problems 2nd try
From: Simon Schwendemann <s.schwendemann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:36:34 +0100
hello everybody out there!

it seems, that we have the same troubles
described by Johan van der Berg earlier in this
list...

we're using a 2.6.10 kernel
on two debian heartbeated/ldirectord boxes
with two webservers (working very well, also
in the offtime of the director - of course,
we've tested this...)

the symptom is simple - all sites are offline.
in the ipvsadm -Ln output where normally 5-25
active connections are living, 0-3 are listed
as active, the amount of inactive connections
seems to be still normally...the affected protocols
are only http and https - pop,imap,smtp and other
protocols we are running at the director seem
to work without these offtimes...

a tcpdump analysis showed us that sometimes the
ACK packets are rewritten from the realserver ip
to the vip, and sometimes (!!) _NOT_! maybe this
is the reason, maybe there are also other issues!?

there is a load of ~ 1mbit/s on the lvs-machines
and the offline-time is about 1-10 minutes once
a day, somedays up to 10 times a day...you cannot
imagine how horrible this trouble is  :-(

we have already changed the complete hardware,
played with configuration options...this trouble
occurs at every lvs-nat setup i think...???

does anybody know how to fix this problem?
is there anyboy else having the same trouble?

thanks in advance for your comments and help!

--
with best regards

simon schwendemann
netmonic - your personal isp