setup problems (lvs-dr)

Subject: setup problems (lvs-dr)
From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:14:53 +0100
Hi,

Im having a bit of problems getting the LVS-dr technique to work.

I have a load balancer:
eth0: (10.0.0.171)
eth0:1 (10.0.0.170) <- virtual cluster address
eth1 (192.168.12.5)

And one realserver:
eth0: (10.0.0.172)
eth1 (192.168.12.5)

The servers are connected with two seperate hubs. I can ping both servers trough both ip adresses.

But now im a but puzzled on how to get things up and running:

I used lvsadm to add a redirect to the realserver on the load balancer for port 22 (ssh) i was able to connect to the cluster ip (170) before i added the redirect and i was getting the console of the load balancer. Now since i have the redirect i get a timeout (because the realserver is not responding to the 170 address), i can connec to both the other adresses (171, 172)

Now i understand that i need to add the 170 addres (noarp) to the realserver for it to respond to those IPs.
The ssh servers are setup to listen to all ip.s

As soon as i try to add 10.0.0.170 to any of the Interfaces on the realserver my other address stops responding (10.0.0.172)
I tried adding it to LO, to eth0, and to eth1, none of them work.
If i add -arp to the ifconfig command, the entire interface uses noarp, not just the alias.

Now i see all kind of noarp patches for the realserver's their kernels, i use a 2.6 kernel, and since i can't find a patch for a 2.6 kernel i did not use any
Do i need a patch to make this noarp thing work as it should?

I am using the document created by jeremy heslop, (even though my realservers are linux servers, and not win2k servers)

thank you loads!
greets
Jan