Perhaps a dumb question on Keepalived...

Subject: Perhaps a dumb question on Keepalived...
From: "Matthew R. Kivela" <mkivela@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:10:54 -0500
Or maybe I'm not thinking of the simple solution...

I've set up a LVS-DR cluster on Fedora Core 3

The primary purpose will be to run scripts that are called via ssh to the virtual IP.

I can't use cron on one of the cluster members to call the scripts -- since if I hit the VIP, the machine running the cron will always process the job.

I'm currently running jobs, that are being distributed OK, by cron'ing them from one of my non-clustered Linux boxes as well as the MKS Toolkit Scheduler from one of my NT servers.

Neither of those is a proper solution, since they would represent a single point of failure.

So what I am thinking is configuring two additional older PCs from our pile of miscellaneous old machines and clustering them together with Keepalived just to run cron.

Something along the lines of each normal runs half the jobs, but if Keepalived detects a failover, it trips a script that writes a crontab that has both sets of jobs in it, and restarts the cron program.

Questions:

1) Can Keepalived run on a machine that doesn't have LVS installed? (I don't need a virtual address or anything, just the cron!)

2) Is this way more work than it should and there is a simpler, more elegant solution out there?