Re: apachebench not increasing troughput

Subject: Re: apachebench not increasing troughput
From: Mack.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:39:55 -0500
Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.john@xxxxxxx

lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/01/2005 07:28:32
AM:

> Mack,
>
> The director is indeed not forwarding ssh (22),

fine

> How can i check for persistent connctions on the server side?

Someone else will have to help here. I haven't set it up, but
when the subject of httpd persistance comes up, people talk
about keepalives. I don't know that they are the same thing yet
(anyone know?).

> AB lets me choose wheter or not it should use keepalive connections.
> (-k   Use HTTP KeepAlive feature)
> If i don;t use it i get 570 pages/sec.
> If i do use it, i get aprox 1500 pages/sec.

consistent with it being the same thing.

> I have a troughput of 400Kbytes per sec, will test packages soon.
> (need to let my head/ears rest from the machines buzzing next to me :P
)
> The requested pages are extremely small (13 bytes), but
> there might be whole lot of http/tcp overhead involved which is not
> counted inside tht 400Kbytes per seccond  amount.

yes read

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.performance.html#8000pps

if your packets are all ACKs and 13byte pages, you can saturate your
link with
very little delivered payload.