Re: Realserver down but active and inactive connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Realserver down but active and inactive connections
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:50:31 -0800
Michael Stiller wanted us to know:

>Hi,
>
>there is a 10 machine cluster running 2.6.10-1.760_FC3smp with
>ipvsadm v1.24 2003/06/07 (compiled with popt and IPVS v1.2.1)
>
>One realserver died last night, ipvsadm still reports
>active and inactive connections for this host. The
>reported weight is 0.

You probably have quiescent set to yes (or unset, since yes is the
default).  From the man page:

       quiescent = [yes|no]

       If yes, then when real or failback servers are determined to be down,
       they are not actually removed from the kernel's LVS table. Rather,
       their weight is set to zero which means that no new connections will be
       accepted. This has the side effect, that if the real server has persis-
       tent connections, new connections from any existing clients will con-
       tinue to be routed to the real server, until the persistant timeout can
       expire. See ipvsadm for more information on persistant connections.

       If no, then the real or failback servers will be removed from the ker-
       nel's LVS table. The default is yes.

       This directive may also appear within a virtual server, in which case
       it will overide the global fallback server, if set.

In your case, it's staying in the kernel's LVS table and any active
connections are staying active until the client closes it.  In the case
of https, you're probably also using persistence so any requests that
continue to come in from those same hosts will continue to get routed to
that real host even though its weight is 0 (interpreting that from the
man page quote above).  Others more experienced here can say if I'm
right or wrong.
--
Regards...              Todd
  We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.