local node on failover server.

Subject: local node on failover server.
From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:03:25 +0100
I have a 5 server setup.

I now have 2 servers as directors with hearthbeat for redundancy.

I have 3 real servers to proces the requests.

As all 5 machines are pretty beefy, and i use LVS-dr, i wanted the balancers to also be realservers. I used the local node "feature" (why on earth is this called a feature), to make sure the active load balancer is also processing request.

But now i still have the secundary load balancer not doing anything.
I have localnode on the second server aswell, so if that one is load balancing it also does some work.
But i cannot make it process any request while it is not the load balancer.

If i add the VIP with noarp to the load balancer, hearthbeat would not be able to setup the VIP when it needed to become the load balancer, so is there any way to tell hearthbeat to toggle the noarp switch on the load balancers instead of adding/removing the VIP?

Ideal sollution would be like this:
secundary loadbalancer carries the VIP with noarp (trough noarp2.0/noarpctl) and can thus be used to process querys like any realserver. If the primary loadbalancer fails, the secundary loadbalancer would disable the noarp program, and thus start arping for the VIP, becoming the load balancer, using the local node feature to continue processing requests. If the primary load balancer comes back up, it either takes the role as secundary server (and adds the VIP with noarp to become a realserver), or becomes the primary load balancer agian, which would trigger the secundary load balancer to add the noarp patch again, (which would make it behave like a realserver again)

any clue's?

thanks