Re: ldirectord.cf

Subject: Re: ldirectord.cf
From: Volker Dormeyer <volker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:14:03 +0200
 //> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:31:15 -0400,
 //> "Brad Taylor" <btaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  > I still don't get how it check the real server. Is it HTTP?  My real
  > server will be an IIS server will that matter?

ldirectord determines the protocol to use for health checking by reading
the configuration option "service". If service=http (in ldirectord.cf),
ldirectord uses the http protocol to check the real servers. It does
nothing more than a normal HTTP GET request. Like:

         GET /index.html HTTP/1.0

ldirectord then searches for the regular expression specified by
"receive" option in the HTML code the real server responded, with. If
it doesn't find the regular expression within the response, or the real
server does not answer in general, it will take the particular real
server out of the load balancing.

Is that what you are asking for?

It doesn't matter which webserver you use, as far it understands the
HTTP protocol. It works fine with MS IIS, too.

  > # Virtual Server for HTTP
  > virtual=10.1.3.61:80
  >         fallback=127.0.0.1:80
  >         real=192.168.6.4:80 masq
  >         real=192.168.6.5:80 masq
  >         service=http
  >         request="index.html"
  >         receive="Test Page"
  >         scheduler=rr
  >         #persistent=600
  >         protocol=tcp
  >     checktype=negotiate

  > In the above the LVS checks http://192.168.6.4/index.html  What would be
  > the contents of index.html? Just "Test Page" without quotes?  Thanks.

It searches for the string "Test Page" in the resulting HTML code (in
this case index.html) from the real server.

Regards,
Volker

 Volker Dormeyer        <volker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>