Tunneling on 2.6.10

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Tunneling on 2.6.10
From: Rolando Guzzi <rguzzi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:38:49 +0300
Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner with LVS on a tunnelling installation on 3 fedora 2.6.10.1.771 boxes in the same room (after first test, one RS will be moved to a hosting company, the other will either stay with the Dir or go elsewhere)

* the cluster is being built from a remote location, so I need to not loose "the hand"...
* the main GW is 10.0.0.50 internally with 255.255.255.0 mask
* the director is up to now on eth1 10.0.0.1 & eth0 10.0.1.1 (same masks) * the 2 RS are on eth1 10.0.0.2 / eth0 10.0.1.2 and 10.0.0.3 / 10.0.1.3

My questions :
1) how do I need to modify the famous "installation script" from Joseph Mack at http://www.austintek.com/LVS/ ? It didn't seem to me that Ultra Monkey was suited to tunnelling or did I miss something ?

2) I can bring up a tunl interface but don't I need to have them up at boot time ? in my kernel there is auto module launch and there is a /dev/net/tun module ready, but upon ifconfig or ip addr show, no tunl shows up...

3) when I bring them up, they appear to be NOARP, does it solve the arping problem ?

4) what should be the setup of network prior to launching the script ? since it seems the tunl0 interfaces should take the place of the eth1 (which connects through cable to the external router) and since the script doesn't seem to like the fact that the VIP 10.0.0.1 is already installed on the DIR's eth1 (I need something to commnicate from the outside prior to launching the script)

5) do I need to disable on the DIR the services (ftp, telnet, ssh, http, webmin ...) that I want to cluster and if so, how shall I remotely administer it ?

Thank you very much to those of you who will answer, even partially, these important questions !

Sincerely,

R. Guzzi
__________________________

Rolando Guzzi, Consultant