Re: Keepalived VRRP & aliased interfaces

Subject: Re: Keepalived VRRP & aliased interfaces
From: Ian Eure <ieure@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:40:17 -0700

On Sep 7, 2005, at 4:13 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Ian Eure wrote:

Hello,
I'm setting up keepalived in an active/passive setup. My active director has VIPs on aliased interfaces; they are all aliases of eth1. Does keepalived care about the aliased interfaces?

Aliases were deprecated with the arrival of 2.4 kernels. I expect you can get Keepalived to with with aliases, but it would be better to use the native mode. You should use the iproute2 tools for everything except leaf nodes now.

Ok. I see that alias interfaces seem to be implemented the same as if I did `ip addr add,' so I think I should just be able to use the master interface name in the VRRP config, and worry about migrating things over later.

Do I need any special setup on the passive director? Can I just bring eth1 up with no IP and let keepalived handle the rest?

--
Ian Eure
Developer,