Re: Ldirectord and DNS problem using TCP and UDP

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ldirectord and DNS problem using TCP and UDP
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:50:57 -0700
David Craigon wanted us to know:

>Hi there,
>       I'm trying to configure a DNS recursive resolver (cache)
>cluster. I am attempting to use ldirectord to detect realserver failure.
>
>Now, in my configuration file I want to do something like this:
>       service=dns
>       protocol=udp
>       service=dns
>       protocol=tcp
>since DNS uses both UDP and TCP. Unfortunately ldirectord doesn't like
>this config- it gets confused and thinks there is a duplicate config in
>the file saying "duplicate virtual server". But the service is on UDP
>and TCP, so they are different. Any advice? Is this a bug?

Yes.  ldirectord needs to be adjusted to check for tcp/udp specification
and set it.  The Net::DNS::Resolver has an function usevc(int) that
tells it to use TCP instead of UDP.  You could probably add the code if
you knew which hash it was in.  Something like $$r{"protocol"}, but that
is 100% guess on my part.
--
Regards...              Todd
we're off on the usual strange tangents.  next will be whether