Re: how to configure LVS for this scenario

To: dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: how to configure LVS for this scenario
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:49:15 +0900
On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 06:09:53PM -0600, Dan Trainor wrote:
> Todd Lyons wrote:
> > Dan Trainor wanted us to know:
> >

> >>I'm having difficulty setting "hidden" an interface using 2.6.9.  I read
> >>that newer kernels include this functionality without a patch.
> >

> > It's not called "hidden" in the 2.6 series.
> >

> >>What I'm finding is that there is no /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/hidden
> >>file for which to configure this setting.  Is there a step that I'm
> >>missing here?
> >

> > This is from /etc/sysctl.conf:
> > net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
> > net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
> >

> I know I'm responding to this late, but I'm just reviewing the list here
> - your response, that it's not called "hidden" in the 2.6 series, is not
> documented.

That is true. To clarify, the "hidden" option was never accepted into
2.4 or 2.6. It was always an add on patch. In the course of trying
to get it added to 2.4 and 2.6 it turned into arp_ignore and arp_announce.

So from an unpatched kernel point of view, hidden wasn't replaced,
because it never existed. But from an LVS user point of view,
yes, it was replaced, and it was incoporated in the main kernel
so you don't have to worry about patching any more.

Also, I should add that arp_ignore+arp_announce handle a cases that
hidden did not handle, and is for that reason superior. I think I wrote
about this on the list somewhere. I can give a detailed explination if
needed.

--
Horms