Re: Questions regarding LVS-DR

To: Samuel Tran <stran@xxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Questions regarding LVS-DR
From: Dan Trainor <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:48:51 -0600
Samuel Tran wrote:
> Dan Trainor wrote:
>
> The director advertises the VIP. It directs requests for TCP/UDP based
> services to the real servers. Hence it makes services of the real
> servers to appear as a virtual service on a single IP address. LVS-DR
> can be implemented in any network segment with public or private adresses.

I understand the director ADVERTISES the resolution of the IP to a
specific MAC address, which is why the clients cannot respond to ARP
requests.  I understand how the service is supposed to appear to the
clinet, regardless of which realserver is involved.

> Real servers need to have a default gateway, ... etc

So for whatever interface they use for communicating on the Internet,
they use that same interface to talk with the director?  If the
realservers need to communicate over the Internet, they need some more
information than a single IP address that will never marry a MAC
address.  For LVS-DR, it is necessary to have 2+ physical interfaces?

> No, please read:
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/VS-DRouting.html

Read it.  When I learn more about it, I'll re-write it.  It's a bit
confusing, because the terminology does not match up with what is said
in the HOWTO and such.

> Were are your end clients? Do they have a public or private IP addresses?

End clients will be regular TCP/IP hosts.

Thanks!
-dant