how do i change the configuration without messing stuff up?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: how do i change the configuration without messing stuff up?
From: "Leon Keijser" <errtu@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:13:59 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

Maybe a bit unusual question, but i have to ask it. Today we tested the
LVS's in production and there was a problem with (we think) the timeout
values for heartbeat. Upon failover, everybody connected using RDP
disconnected. Now, these are the values i have in ha.cf :

keepalive 1
deadtime 30
warntime 10
initdead 120

These are the default values, i think. So after the massive disconnect (140
users) we changed it to:

keepalive 10ms
deadtime 300ms
warntime 100ms
initdead 120

But how do i make these changes active, without another massive failure? I
was thinking about:

- shutdown heartbeat on the inactive (backup) node
- change ha.cf
- start heartbeat again on backup node
- stop heartbeat on active (master) node
* failover occurs to backup node
- change ha.cf
- start heartbeat again on master node
* fallback occurs and master node takes over

Unfortunately, this didn't go as smooth as i thought. First of all because
the timeout values were too low (the LVS's did a failover every couple of
seconds!) so new clients couldn't connect and the ones that were connected
couldn't do much work because the connection stalled all the time. Second,
i'm not sure if this was the right way of doing this.

We've set the values back to the default ones (k:1, w:30, d:10, i:120)
again, and by start/stopping heartbeat, killing processes and praying alot,
things worked again. But we still have to configure the heartbeat timeout
values though. I'm going to clone these 2 LVS's so we can experiment with
different values until we find the right one. After that i will want to
change the production LVS's too. How can i accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

Léon