Re: ipvs failback patch

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipvs failback patch
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:33:42 +0000 (UTC)
Ranga Nathan <kairanga@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I still have problems... :-(
>
> Leon Keijser wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I had the same problem that you have. Failover works perfectly, but failback
>>to the master caused all connections to drop. I fixed it by first making
>>sure both daemons (master & backup) run before heartbeat is started. Second,
>>that still caused some clients to disconnect, so i added a 'sleep' of about
>>30s before heartbeat starts. That fixed it for me.
>>
>>Oh, and i don't know if this matters any, but on the primary LVS i started
>>the daemons with syncid 20 (master) and 21 (backup). On the secondary LVS,
>>20 (backup) and 21 (master).
>>

> This seems to follow Horms's response regarding syncmaster.
> OK, I have done the same things as you suggested. Now I have
> --start-daemon master --syncid 20
> --start-daemon backup --syncid 21
> on LD1 and
> --start-daemon master --syncid 21
> --start-daemon backup --syncid 20
> on LD2.
>
> Both are running on both  LDs.

That looks fine, though you don't need to different syncid's.
The sync daemons won't receive messages from the local node.

> This is how I test.
> I start an ssh session for VIP when LD1 is master. I see the progress
> using  "watch ipvsadm -L -n". I then reboot LD1. In a minute I see LD2
> taking over the connection smoothly.
> After LD1 reboots, it snatches the connections back and the ssh session
> drops. Firstly should LD1 always snatch back from LD2? Or only when LD2
> drops out?
>
> I put the sleep 30 delay in the heartbeat startup script.
> Anything else I should do?

Strange, try monitoring the output of ipvsadm -Lcn on the
server that was rebooted, before it takes over the VIP.
If the sync daemons are working you should see the conection
table being populated.

--
Horms