RE: ldirectord works for HTTP but Not FTP

To: "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ldirectord works for HTTP but Not FTP
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:10:42 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Robinson, Eric wrote:

Joseph,

So far, I have read enough to know that: (1) the ftp helper module is
called ip_masq_ftp;

close, that's the helper for the 2.2 kernel. The 2.2 kernel section is before the 2.4/2.6 section, which doesn't help.

(2) according to lsmod and ps, it is not running on
my system when ldirectord is running; (3) that's okay because the HOWTO
states that it is only required for passive FTP,

I just read that too. In that case I don't know how active ftp is handled in LVS-NAT.

I haven't done ftp with LVS for years, but I do remember what the people doing the code said, and what I did to get it to work were quite different.

Maybe someone whose running ftp can pop up and say hello.

and I'm just trying to get FTP working in active mode.

Furthermore, it does not appear to be a multi-port or NAT problem
because when the client's SYN arrives on the load-balancer's outside
interface, no packets at all are sent on its internal interface. It just
sends back a RST on the outside interface. Now isn't that special?

this means you don't have anything on the director accepting connections to VIP:ftp.

Do you have

o no ipvsadm rule accepting ftp

o iptables rules blocking ftp

o an ftpd listening on the director (not sure how this would cause your symptoms)

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!