RE: dead peer detection, ipvsadm

Subject: RE: dead peer detection, ipvsadm
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 05:42:10 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Gary W. Smith wrote:

I'm looking for dead peer detection for the real servers.

dead peer = realservers doing health checking on each other?

with LVS you usually do the health checking from the director.

I already
have ipvsadm setup using linux-ha on a cluster.  This part seems to work
fine.  When I take one of the SMTP nodes offline (being a large incoming
SMTP configuration) I would like it to be detected and no traffic to be
routed there.  I have read various howto's on a variety of techniques
(including the use of feedbackd).

knowing all the techniques now, what part of it doesn't work for you.

This works great for balancing the connections.  But it seems to die
miserably

I don't know what that means

when I take one server down (as all of the connections seem to
go there

where is there?

because is has no active connections).

is this the slow start (thundering herd) problem?